Andalee's Belly Dance Newsletter
October 2009 Newsletter
November 1, 2009: Happy Hips Halloween Hafla, Barriskill Dance in Durham, 2:00 pm, $5.
November 14, 2009: Blue Moon Dance Company proudly presents The Sean Costello Memorial Fund for Bipolar Research Benefit Workshop and Show, The Solution Center, 1101 Slater Road, RTP (Durham), NC. Doors open at 7:00 PM; show starts at 7:30 PM. To get more information or to purchase tickets, visit http://www.bluemoonbellydance.com/classes.html.
December 5, 2009: Evening Oasis: Holiday Hafla. Triangle Dance Studio, 2603 S. Miami Blvd., Durham (near RTP), NC 27703 upstairs studio. 7:00-9:30pm, $5. Come out to support my student troupe's debut performance!!!
As some of you may know in my spare time (ha ha), I make jewelry for my business Mountains to the Sea. In preparation for the holiday shopping season, I am presenting and selling my jewelry at a couple of locations. For more information and to browse my collections, visit http://www.mountainstothesea.biz.
October 24, 2009: Five Oaks yard sale. 5109 Pine Cone Drive, Durham, NC 27707. 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
November 21, 2009: The 2009 Holiday Arts and Crafts Bazaar at Hillsborough Elementary School. 9:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m.
Craft Central: Making a belly dance overskirt in 10 minutes
Making a fun and stylish belly dance overskirt is a cheap and easy way to stock your belly dance wardrobe. It only takes a few minutes and there is no sewing involved. Wear your overskirt with or without a hipscarf, wear it to class, or even to performances. Follow this step-by-step guide to make your own overskirt. Click on the images for a larger view or visit the album.
1) You need a pair of scissors and 1 yard of fabric. Make sure your fabric is a 4-way stretch material. Pull it gently in all directions to make sure it is. Spandex and Matte Jersey are good choices.
2) Make sure your fabric has smooth, even edges and remove all printers marks.
3) Fold fabric over once, matching the short ends, not the long ends.
4) Fold fabric a second time, but going the other direction. There should be four layers.
5) Use the scissors to cut along the top fold. Be careful not to cut too much as your opening will double in size when you unfold it.
6) Check size of opening to see if it fits around your hips and there you have your overskirt!
Stay in touch!